Thursday 17 January 2013

Into The Woods - part 5 - a slight digression

Over Christmas, I grabbed some trees off eBay, on the 'for that price, it's worth a punt" theory.

They're from an eBay seller called everestmodel, who is based in China: they have 99.9% positive feedback in the 10s of thousands, and shipping time is 2-3 weeks.

For 20 quid and change, I picked up 16 6" high deciduous trees, which arrived today. They're clump foliage, pretty securely attached to a twisted wire armature: they do shed a bit, but not as much as some. And, in fact, they are pretty damn decent, all things considered. They will need some form of roots/base, but that shouldn't be too hard, and a thickish coat of something grey/brown to hide the wire twists (although from wargames distance you could get by without), but otherwise? Me like, and they're a good variation on the ones I've been making.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I really like using gardener's twine and PVA to make nice looking roots. You can see the results I got here: http://mdarrow.blogspot.com/2012/07/scratch-building-trees-tutorial-pt-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six inch is a pretty decent sized tree for 1:76 scale work - and 16 of those for $20 seems like a good score to me. Looking at it close up, I see that the makers have been pretty clever. The 'long' spiral gives a convincing effect of bark (and the spiral effect is how trees grow as a rule anyhow. Except that in the picture it looks like the metal showing through, I'd leave them as is.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...