Friday 16 May 2014

Painting DDs

I've been doing a bit of research, since I had a couple of queries about the canvas and paint schemes on the Sherman DD's. Moreover, I've been a Good Boy, and used Evernote to save my research, like I said I would :D

Look! Research notes!
Key things I was after:

  • the colour of both the sides and the TOP of the canvas... If you look at the Bovington one, the top is a slightly different shade compared to the sides, but I dunno how much of that is age. 
  • underneath detail. Again from the Bovington DD you can see the red primer for one side's supports for the props. (I'm wondering if that's a post-war fix...)
  • the 'deck'. It wasn't clear till I found some of these photos that there's an extended deck around the tank the canvas fits to.
Hoping to get these painted this weekend. I've made the assumption that the US ones were painted US olive drab, not a British shade, but that's I suspect impossible to verify one way or the other.

1 comment:

  1. With a post title of Painting Double Ds, I was expecting something different to a tank! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...