Friday 20 May 2016

Colour Concepts: 1 - Introduction

I seem to have been thinking a lot about colour, lately - what colour things are, and, almost as importantly, what colour things aren't. We have as human beings a lot of pre-conceived ideas as to what colour things are - ask a child, and they'll tell you water is blue, earth is brown, sand is yellow, etc - and a lot of these are actually quite startlingly wrong if you actually look at the thing in question. And a lot of those misconceptions we carry into adulthood.

So, with that in mind, it's past time we had another series on this blog, and so here's 'Colour Concepts', a series of ponderings on what colour things actually are.

As a free starter, which if you aren't a regular reader of this blog you can go catch up on, and if you are you should know already:

There's no such thing as a brown horse (well, actually, there is, but it's rarer than you think!). And white horses often aren't white

7 comments:

  1. Now Mike, this could be very interesting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should prove to be very valuable. If I can ask for something, can you list specific paint colors? It would greatly help those of us that are color blind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having troubles distinguishing certain colours myself, I second that suggestion! Looking forward to the series.

      Delete
  3. Are there paint ranges that you find particularly useful? Do you mix your colors? Are you an oils or water based enthusiast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to mix colors. I use vallejo paints and craft store paints. All acrylic.

      Delete
  4. This sort of article is very handy to have easily accessible. Probably my favorite horse colour is what I used to call 'sorrel' but which I now find is your 'blood bay' - a red-brown with dark points.

    The hardest colours I find are chestnuts that have blond manes and tails. I've never been able to get that straw colour right. So I tend to go for bays and duns as more or less the easiest to paint, with the occasional roans and even more occasional greys.

    I have experimented with a watery colour mix over a white undercoat to achieve piebald and fleabitten grey effects. Not sure they have been all that satisfactory though. I think too, as far as horse colours are concerned, we should be prepared to fudge things a bit on account of the effects of scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Thanks Mike, I shall read with interest

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...